City Council is made up of one Mayor and six Councillors responsible for local government leadership and decision-making in the City of Humboldt.
(Back L-R: Michael Behiel, Owen Hopfner, Larry Jorgenson; Frontt L-R: Roger Nordick, Sandy Weyland, Mayor Rob Muench, Lorne Pratchler)
The Mayor is the presiding officer of the City Council and is responsible for appointing individuals to Boards and Committees, subject to the approval of City Council.
City Council is responsible for several key functions, including:
- Initiating, amending and adopting City bylaws;
- Approving contracts, purchases and agreements;
- Approval of capital and operating budgets;
- Determining mill rates for the municipal portion of property taxes;
- Exercising all discretionary powers of the City, both legislative and executive;
- Providing direction to City Administration through the City Manager;
- Stewardship of public assets; and
- Regulating and controlling land development within the City limits.